Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Crafting in Advent... Coasters

Happy Wednesday All!

One more week and Christmas is upon us. If you're like me, you're all spent out! As in, no more $$ for the "oh I forgot" gift, or "White Elephant" kinda thing.

I'm here today with an easy-peasy craft for you to do. I got the idea on Pinterest from a blogger called Beneath My Heart. I've linked you to the Pin on my Advent & Christmas Board. Click on it, and you will be taken to her blog.

What you will need for this craft:
  • Porcelain Tiles (4x4)
  • Fun Cocktail Napkins
  • Thin Cork  
  • Mod Podge (matte or glitter)
  • Mod Podge ClearAcrylic Sealer Spray - Gloss 
  • 1/8th inch ribbon
  • Glue Gun
  • Craft Sponge 

First, you make sure your tiles are clean. A set of ten tiles at Lowes is around $18. Four coasters in a set. Then you dip your craft sponge into the Mod Podge and put a thin layer on the tile, then stick the napkin down. I cut the napkins so that only one layer went onto the tile and pretty close to 4x4 as well.


After the above dries a bit (I would say an hour. I was doing other things, so it went by quickly.), trim the excess napkins around the edges and put another thicker layer of Mod Podge on the tile. I used the glitter version on these light color coasters. FYI - I tried the glitter on the darker napkin version and you can not see the design well, so I used the plain matte version for my second go.


After that dried (honestly it was over night, because we have so much going on, that is when I got back to it.), I decided I didn't like how the edges looked and I added this 1/8th inch ribbon from Stampin Up!  I love how it turned out. I simply used my glue gun and went all the way around.


Just so you can see the difference, the one on the left is not trimmed with the ribbon.


Here is the finished set. Well, actually, I still have to add a 4x4 piece of cork to the bottom, but it's not here yet. If it comes before the post goes live, I will add a picture.



Finish the set off by stacking them and tying a nice ribbon around them (you know how they come in a store), maybe pair with a nice bottle of wine and a pretty bag with tissue paper... Great hostess gift.

I hope you found this post helpful in some way.
Hugs & Blessings,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a message.
Your comment will show up, I promise.
Blessings,
Em